Disasters can strike any of us at an unexpected time. Were you aware that small travel trailers and other motor home units can come in handy in such emergency situations? If you live in disaster prone areas, small travel trailers can be beneficial as shelters when motels and hotels are fully booked.
Disaster prone areas where small travel trailers could be useful are hurricanes, snow blizzards, or more. These are select disasters where you can prepare for you and your family ahead of time. Small travel trailers allow you to do this because you can store food, water, clothing, and necessities before the disaster hits.
Ideas to prepare small travel trailers for use in disaster:
1. Make a check list of important, basic clothing items, such as underwear, socks, t-shirts, etc. and pack them into a small chest or storage unit. Keep on board small travel trailers for easy access when needed.
2. Buy and store dry goods that you can keep on board small travel trailers for emergency food needs. Keep canned goods (and a can opener), cases of water, dried pastas, and other non perishable items on hand. These foods can be cooked in small travel trailers or over a camp fire.
3. Stock cleaning supplies, extra propane, batteries, flash lights, and first aid kit on board the RV unit. If you happen to take the towable motor home or recreational vehicle out on the road for a long or short term trip, make sure you replenish any of the basic supplies that you may have used. It may help to keep an excel spreadsheet or check list at home and/or in the RV to refer to when restocking.
4. If you do use the recreational vehicle for an emergency shelter, make sure you have camp grounds mapped out with marked destinations. Keep the RV camp ground phone numbers handy, too, so that when you know you will be evacuating or relocating temporarily, you can call them as soon as possible to reserve a spot.
5. You may also want to get the travel RV trailer checked out by a mechanic on a regular basis. Check the tires, tow hitch, lights, etc. so that when in disaster mode, you have the mental security and peace that you will be safe while driving.
By taking these small measures, you will be able to use your small towable recreational vehicle unit for shelter in a disaster. This way, your family and pets will know that they are taken care of under unforeseen circumstances.