The RV lifestyle is grand! You go places, see things, and there seems to be no end to the fun traveling in your class C motorhome. No one likes to think about going to the hospital when they are enjoying their freedom on the road. Of course, emergency trips to the hospital are one thing, but you can plan ahead if you know you will need medical support as you travel.
Before you go
- As you plan your trip, look up what health care facilities, clinics, and hospitals are available in the major cities along your route.
- Write down the names, addresses, and phone numbers and keep them handy.
- Check them out on the Internet to see their ratings.
- Find out if the hospitals take your health insurance.
- Learn if the hospitals are accredited.
- Look up RV parks in the area, or find out if the hospitals have a place for you to park your lightweight travel trailers. Sometimes you can “boondock” in the hospital parking lot.
- Keep your health insurance information in a handy place.
- Check with your family doctor to catch anything that might be serious before the trip.
- If you are on medications, and you will be on the road longer than a month, get copies of your prescriptions to use along the road.
- Keep a list of all of your meds to give to any health care provider you may need.
- Take your doctor’s contact information and the phone number of your pharmacy with you.