Are you a person who enjoys crossing the country in your Class C motor home or towable RV, but think it could be a great experience to volunteer when doing so? Such travel in a Class C motor home has been an increasing trend across the nation, in fact, it is termed Volun-tourism. When RVers volunteer while traveling in their Class C motor home, they are giving back to their region or state while volunteering.
Where do you begin before you hit the road in your Class C motor home to volunteer?
If you are interested in participating in Volun-tourism via your Class C motor home or other travel trailer unit, begin by narrowing down the type of philanthropy that you would like to partake in when on the road. If you are a family, then get the whole family together. You will want to create a list of possible opportunities for you to do with your Class C motor home. Think about hobbies or interests, such as animal care, working with the elderly, building houses, etc.
Got your cause? What should you do next?
After you have chosen the type of cause you want to support when traveling in your Class C motor home, contact the nonprofit organization to see what opportunities there are for you and your traveling companions. Check Charity Navigator, a free online tool that will let you know if the nonprofit is a legitimate 501c3. Call the organization to speak to someone on staff who you would be working directly with during your RV trip.
When you speak to the nonprofit, ask the following:
1. What will the nonprofit expect of you when you are helping them out?
2. Will you have any expenses when you are there? Does it cost anything for you to volunteer?
3. What waivers and/or other paperwork will need to be filled out before you leave town in your RV or travel trailer?
4. Ask them about age restrictions if there are any so that you do not take young children when they are not allowed to help.
5. What will your volunteer duties or responsibilities be during your time helping?
What if you cannot help this year via travel? Think about a donation!
Some of the nonprofits that you and your family wish to volunteer at when traveling with your recreational vehicle may have specific dates or time frames that do not complement when you can participate. If this is so, then think about gift.