While the industry is working to make RVs that will help you to leave a smaller carbon footprint, the cleaning products you use to clean your travel trailer may contain toxic chemicals that are making that footprint bigger. They have the capacity to endanger your health, and your enjoyment of life.
You can make your own super non-toxic cleaning products. All you need are a few household items, and some spray bottles.
Homemade green cleaning products
- White vinegar – alone, or mixed with other products – is a great cleaner. With an equal amount of water, you have a great all-purpose cleaner and deodorizer. Undiluted, it works wonderfully on mineral deposits. Vinegar with a minuscule amount of dish detergent and water is a great window cleaner.
- Baking soda on a damp microfiber cloth is a mild but tough cleansing powder. Rub it in, wait 15 minutes, then rub your tub clean. Pour some in a clogged drain, wait two hours. Then, run hot water, and your drain will be clear and deodorized.
- Tea tree oil is good for getting rid of mildew, and unpleasant smells.
- Sodium carbonate is for washing clothes, softening water, and beefing up the power of your soap in your fifth wheel’s washing machine.
- Make air fresheners by simmering citrus rinds, or cinnamon sticks and cloves in a saucepan in your Class A. (Set a timer to remind you before it boils dry.)
- Lemon juice, olive oil, and water make good furniture polish.
There are many other ideas to be found on the Internet. When you find what works for you, mix up your formulas in big batches, and store them away for use.