Used RVs are often a choice made by individuals and families that are attempting to maximize a vacation budget or enjoy their retirement traveling with limited funds. Don’t waste any money on fuel if you don’t have to.
Tips to save fuel with used RVs:
- Recreational vehicles have water tanks. Traveling with them full will decrease your fuel efficiency because it will add to the total weight of the vehicle. Rather than traveling with full tanks keep what you need on hand. For instance, have enough water on hand in your water tanks to get to your next destination and no more. This will increase your fuel efficiency and decrease your overall fuel bill for trips.
- Spontaneous travel is fun, but planned travel can definitely decrease your gas bill for trips. For instance, look for a campground or RV park that is centrally located so you can use it as a hub as you travel (by tow vehicle only) to various destinations on your agenda. Not pulling your used RVs to each and every destination with you, but parking it at a campground or “base camp” will greatly reduce your fuel costs.
- Slow down. This tip holds true no matter what vehicle you are driving. Speeding is a bad habit not only because it may land you with a ticket, but also because it increases the amount of fuel you are using.
- Use of air conditioning in your used RVs will increase the use of fuel. Traveling in the early morning or evening will often avoid this problem when traveling in areas with higher temperatures. You’ll run your AC less and still be able to enjoy a comfortable temperature in your motorhome while on the road.
- Check your tires before every trip. As with any vehicle, tire issues can lead to decreased fuel efficiency.
- Proper maintenance will also help you maximize your used RV’s fuel efficiency. Change the air filter regularly, have the oil checked/changed often, etc.
- Don’t pack things you don’t need, especially if they are going to weight down your vehicle. Not only will the extra weight decrease the fuel efficiency of your vehicle, but an over weighted RV can be dangerous on the road.
Used RVs are fun, but they’re also practical. Make the most of both aspects and you’ll find yourself balancing in that perfect spot where vacation and travel are not only desirable, but also possible and affordable.