Whether you are purchasing a new Motorhome Class A, or used travel trailers, you need to make some decisions about insurance. You may wish to explore all options in your state before you let the RV dealer clinch the deal.
Why you need RV insurance
- Almost all states require RV owners to have insurance.
- No one plans to have an accident, but in order to protect the huge investment in your RV, fifth wheel or another model; you should have an insurance policy that covers at least the basic needs.
- Any time that you are in an accident there is at the least some damage, and at worst personal injury, death, and potentially the destruction of your travel trailer.
Why you need to shop around
- Not all insurance companies are equal in coverage or cost. Shop until you find the one that you need and want for your Class C motor home.
- If you don’t like pressure from insurance salesmen, try getting some online quotes which will allow you time to do research and the leisure to make decisions.
- Buying direct may be a good compromise where you can get information, but are free to choose the best package for you.
- Some companies may offer discounts to you if you are a non-smoker, have safety and anti-theft devices, or have other insurance accounts with them.
What information you need
- You’ll need the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) and purchase paperwork.
- Have all of the safety information about your RV handy as you shop.
- Find information about the reliability and integrity of the company from whom you choose to purchase insurance.